Thursday 7 January 2010

INSPIRATION

A number of things have happened that have meant that I have really knuckled down and got on with my Open University course. The snow has prevented me from going far and so the list of jobs that I have to complete but which require leaving Ilkley lies untouched. In addition, I have not been sent any work for which I am paid yet this year. That won't last long I'm sure but for the time being gives me a wide window of opportunity through which to throw myself. And finally we had the Christmas holiday which, because my husband was here, allowed me to lock myself away and get on without fear of much interruption from the children.

And so, after a morning of feverish typing, I have finished the last block of the course. I still have a piece to write for the final tutorial and the final assessment to redo but I have read and considered all the pearls of wisdom that the course material contained.

I can't believe how much I have enjoyed it. I have found studying now that I am middle aged so much richer than when I was 18. My life experiences now colour my views and give me countless examples from which to draw inspiration. I have learned to think in a new way which is something that has been sorely lacking in my life for the last twenty years or so. And I have had a modicum of success. My tutor and fellow students have been complimentary about my offerings which has boosted my confidence in my ability to undertake something new.

And so, with the last few pages of course work under my belt, I feel excited. It's like when you are a child. You know that a forthcoming event has got the adults all hot under the collar and, whilst you don't really understand what's coming, you can't help but get caught up in the atmosphere. It's been a long time since I have felt like this but it's a sensation that I welcome in with open arms.

I haven't finished by a long chalk. Some might say that the final assessment is the most important part of the whole thing as it is from that that your success is measured. But I am sorely tempted to pick up my files and go right back to day 1 and do the whole thing all over again to see how I do it differently. In fact I suspect I probably shall. After all, isn't that the sign of something worthwhile?

No comments: